The Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education (CYQAA), is responsible to ensure the quality of Higher Education in Cyprus and to support, through the procedures provided by the relevant legislation for the continuous improvement and upgrading of higher education institutions and their programs of study. CYQAA bases its external evaluation activities on the European Standards and Guidelines (ESG) and the European Qualifications Framework (EQF). In order to ensure the quality of its work, which constitutes an integral part of its broader self-awareness and accountability, CYQAA has been externally evaluated and has managed to become a member of the most important international quality assurance organizations.
Τhe Agency has, according to the Law, extended competencies amongst which are the following:
- Institutional, Departmental and Programmatic Evaluation and accreditation of higher education.
- Quality Assurance in higher education on the basis of the European Standards.
- The Evaluation and Accreditation of cross-border forms of education, offered by local institutions in member states or third countries.
- Assessment of the conditions for the provision of cross-border education from foreign institutions in Cyprus.
- Assessment of inter-institutional cooperation of higher education institutions.
- The provision of information of Quality Assurance in higher education.
The lists of all recognized institutions of higher education and of the accredited programs of study as well as the results of evaluation will be are published on the Agency’s website.
- Included on the European Quality Assurance Register (EQAR).
- Full member of European Association for Quality Assurance (ENQA).
- Full member of International Network for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Higher Education (INQAAHE).
- Affiliate member of European University Association (EUA).
- Full member of the European Distance and E-Learning Network (EDEN)
Τhe procedure for CYQAA’s external Evaluation and recognition by the World Federation for Medical Education (World Federation from Medical Education – WFME), is underway. Τhe WFME recognition panel conducted an on-site visit to Cyprus in June 2019.